UH Manoa Sophomore Athletes

University of Hawaii Manoa sophomore tennis player Marina Hruba and swimmer Aiden Pike share a common mindset to focus solely on themselves and the game ahead, instead of other competitors. Both also do not want to pursue professional athletic careers.

Hruba, who was the Big West Conference’s Freshman of the Year, explained she prefers to not research her opponents prior to a tennis match. This helps her to focus and improve her performance which has proved effective due to her outstanding past season. Hruba at first was very set on going “pro” in tennis but due to her heel and shoulder injuries these aspiration were not achievable. Another setback to these aspirations were due to the lack of support of her family and teacher back in the Czech Republic.

Highland High School graduate and 2014 Southeast Yosemite League 100 fly champion and record holder Pike’s mantra before stepping on to the block is “Clear your mind and think of something positive”. Reciting this allows Pike to focus solely on himself and the race. His parents, swimmers themselves, supported him throughout his athletic career unlike Hruba’s parents.

Despite not pursuing professional athletic careers, both Hruba and Pike plan to continue a successful path in their sport.