Sports Non-stop?

From diving into a pool at 6:30 in the morning or swinging a racket at 2:30 in the afternoon, the lives of many college athletes goes unnoticed. Having sacrificed many opportunities, these players want to become the best in their sport. In college, however, students have to balance their athletics and academics and maintain good time management.

Aiden Pike, a sophomore swimmer at the University of Hawaii, is one example.

“We have morning practice every single morning from six to eight. And then weights after if you choose to do so. And then I go to my classes for the day and come back for swim practice from two to four.” Swimming since a young age, his weekly time for practicing and working out can range anywhere from 18 to 24 hours. In order to finish his school work, Pike goes to a study hall like program set up by the university for student athletes for six hours every week. This ensures that Pike will be able to practice without having to worry about not completing school work.

Practicing for an extended amount of time, however, is not limited to just swimming. Marina Hruba, a sophomore tennis player at the University of Hawaii, trains in a similar fashion. She practices eight hours a week with her coaches with weightlifting and conditioning on alternate days. Other than the required practice, Hruba also meets with her teammates during other times of the week for extra training. To find time to work on her school work, Hruba has to complete many of her assignments within the few hours she has from the time she gets back from afternoon practice before an early bedtime. Hruba, however, does not mind waking up early every day and having a busy schedule because she loves tennis and enjoys competing in the sport.

Although finding a balance between school and sports sounds difficult, this is what many college athletes have to deal with on a daily basis. By maintaining a good mindset and determination, many of these students can succeed in both academics and athletics.