UH Rainbow Warrior Marching Band impacts lives of its members

Head Drum Major of UH Rainbow Warrior Marching Band, Freddy Schulz, shared how the band plays a vital role in his life.

Freddy Schulz is a senior in UH Manoa. He will be graduating in Fall 2020 and is planning to pursue music after college. Schulz has been actively involved in band organizations ever since he is a freshman in Moanalua High School.

Schulz played the trumpet during the first year and he now serves as the drum major in UH Marching Band.

Schulz said, “I was lucky enough to be one of their drum majors. It was definitely the most rewarding experience so far and I learned about myself, leadership, and my passion for music. My biggest passion in life is conducting music. That’s why I got into this point to college and wanted to continue that.”

The UH Rainbow Warrior Marching Band meets three times a week for an hour and a half. According to uhbands.org, since 1923, the University of Hawaii Rainbow Warrior Marching Band has played a pivotal role in UH athletic events and campus life. The band is the only university marching band in the state of Hawaii. The UH Marching Band is comprised of 250 students representing nearly every major on campus.

The band plays at football games, mall gigs, grand openings of businesses such as Dunkin Donuts, and is actively involved in campus life. Some of the protocols that band members need to follow include attendance policy, time commitment and every member is expected to be at the rehearsals and perform at the football games.

“We play a big part in the community and it is really exciting when we see people all around really excited to watch us play. By joining the band, it helped further my value in life: compassion. You learned that what you do as an individual affects others,” said Schulz.